Enforcing Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions

by Lyndel
(Manteca, CA)

Visitor Question: How do you enforce a subdivision's Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions absent a Homeowners' Association?

Editors Reply: If there is no homeowners association, but yet all of you who own property have CC&R's in your deed (a slightly unusual situation), the person wishing to enforce those deed restrictions (which also could be called restrictive covenants) would need to seek a private civil action.

Obviously it would be best if you could resolve the situation out of court without the expense and bother of hiring an attorney. So make sure you have taken persuasion and face-to-face meeting as far as it can go.

If several property owners are violating the CC&R's, then a general meeting of the subdivision may be in order. In that venue you could see if several people are willing to divide up the work of meeting with the offending parties, and importantly, to figure out how many people would support the enforcement lawsuit financially.

Or maybe you would decide at that meeting that the infractions are not bothering that many people, and that therefore it will be hard to gather enough support.

Possibly some who are bothered will not want to get involved in a potentially stressful conflict or ultimately a lawsuit. That also will be good information for you.

One item to consider is whether you have an attorney living in the subdivision who might be able and willing to undertake this work pro bono (without pay). If so, that can make the decision to proceed much easier.

Make sure you have investigated the outside possibility that the behavior or action that is bothering you is covered under a general municipal, county, or state regulation. Usually CC&R's are drafted to cover situations that would not be regulated by any law or ordinance, but occasionally somewhat sloppy drafting or just a wish to emphasize a particular point will lead an attorney to write a CC&R provision that also is covered under law. Or you could lucky and find that a law passed after your CC&Rs went into effect will address your problem with existing conditions.

If you do not have a neighborhood association (which sounds unlikely from your question), this could be a good time to form one. In times such as these, it would be best to have some formal organization, with officers and procedures already established, to set up meetings and conversations about issues such as your wish to enforce CC&R's.

Incidentally this illustrates why we are not a huge fan of using deed restrictions to regulate behaviors, land uses, and physical conditions. Enforcing the deed restriction is always a private matter, and you have no government or government-backed enforcement mechanism to help you out.

Nonetheless, often when an errant property owner sees the neighbors becoming organized and possibly considering a lawsuit, attitudes toward the deed restriction in question suddenly change. This is more likely in the event of a resident property owner than an absentee owner who uses the property as a rental or vacation home.

Comments for Enforcing Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions

Click here to add your own comments

How to enforce?
by: Anonymous

This did not tell you how to get the covenant enforced if all these steps did not work.

Editors Reply: To be very clear, when persuasion does not work, the only way to get a covenant enforced is to go to court and win.

by: Aggravated property owner

A deed contains a legal description usually containing physical information about a property and may include surveying information. This document is recorded in the state and or county the property is located. That being accepted as a legal document then my feeling is the state or county should provide enforcement to force owners who willfully signed the deed transfer to abide by its contents. Otherwise the legality of the deed is being compromised if its contents are not accepted in whole.

Editors Comment: Yes, we see your logic, but thus far at least, it's just not the way deed restrictions work in this country. The restrictions (as opposed to the basic facts of ownership) are seen as private transactions.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to HOA and Deed Restrictions Questions.

Join GOOD COMMUNITY PLUS, which provides you monthly with short features or tips about timely topics for neighborhoods, towns and cities, community organizations, and rural or small town environments. Unsubscribe any time. Give it a try.